Austin’s patent litigation work has encompassed a wide array of technology areas, including consumer electronics, hardware and software products, cloud-based systems, video streaming platforms, pharmaceuticals, and medical devices. Austin has also represented companies in Patent Office proceedings (including prosecution, inter partes and covered business method reviews, and reexaminations), U.S. International Trade Commission investigations, arbitrations, and appeals.
Austin was previously an attorney at Fitzpatrick, Cella, Harper & Scinto and Desmarais LLP. Just prior to joining the firm, Austin worked in the litigation finance industry, where he engaged with companies and law firms to invest in, and successfully collect upon, litigation claims, including patent, trade secret, false advertising, antitrust, and other commercial assertions.
Austin holds a Bachelors degree in Bioengineering from Rice University and earned his law degree from The George Washington University School of Law. During law school, Austin served as a Notes Editor for the Federal Circuit Bar Journal, and he clerked for Commissioner Deanna Tanner Okun at the U.S. International Trade Commission.
The George Washington University Law School
- Doctor of Jurisprudence
- Bachelor of Science in Bioengineering
- Tau Beta Pi
Areas of Practice
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Inter Partes Reviews, Covered Business Method Reviews, Reexaminations
- U.S. International Trade Commission Section 337 Investigations
- Commercial Litigation
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- State of New York
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- The America Invents Act: Provisions That May Impact ITC Investigations, Financier Worldwide (2012) (co-author)
- New Concern about Articles Concerned: Revisiting the Scope of ITC Exclusion Orders after Yingbin and Kyocera, Federal Circuit Bar Journal (Vol. 20, 2010-2011)
HONORS & PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS
- Named New York Super Lawyer Rising Star, 2016, 2017, 2018 (a Thomson Reuters service)
- New York Intellectual Property Lawyers Association, Young Lawyers Committee (2012-2013)
*Not licensed to practice in Texas or Illinois.