Donald Puckett has significant experience litigating a wide variety of complex litigation matters, but his primary practice areas involve patent litigation, patent appeals, intellectual property asset management, and IP strategy. In 2015, the IAM Patent 1000 guide wrote that Don earned an “unqualified recommendation” with a “respected ability to work up a case so as to maximize the impact of his arguments . . . Few do it better than Don.”
In recent years, Don has been active in patent inter partes review (“IPR”) proceedings before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board, and Federal Circuit appeals of IPR decisions. Don frequently provides consulting services to other attorneys on procedural aspects of PTAB practice, including administrative and constitutional issues that arise in IPR cases. Don was the lead briefing attorney for Wi-Fi One in the pending en banc Federal Circuit appeal Wi-Fi One v. Broadcom.
Don received his law degree from the University of Texas School of Law in 1999, and served as a law clerk to Hon. Jon Phipps McCalla (Western District of Tennessee). He previously was a co-founder of Skiermont Puckett LLP, a partner at The Ware Firm, and an associate at McKool Smith.
University of Texas School of Law
- Juris Doctorate, with honors
- Order of the Coif
- Texas Law Review, Associate Editor
University of Kentucky
- summa cum laude
Areas of Practice
- Complex Commercial Litigation
- Patent Litigation & Appeals
- Inter Partes Reviews
- Administrative and Constitutional Law
- Intellectual Property Asset Management
- State of Texas
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- United States District Court, Northern District of Texas
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- United States District Court, Western District of Texas
- United States District Court, Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- United States District Court, District of Colorado
- United States District Court, District of Nebraska
Honors & Professional Associations
- Texas Super Lawyer – 2014, 2015, 2016 & 2017
- IAM Patent 1000 – 2015, 2016, & 2017
- Barbara M.G. Lynn Inn of Court (Barrister, 2012-2015; Master, 2015-Present)
- The Continuously Evolving Landscape of PTAB Trial Practice: What’s In and What’s Out, The Knowledge Group (Nov. 2016).
- Hot Issues in PTAB Trials, 53rd Annual Conference on Intellectual Property Law, Center for American and International Law (Nov. 2015).
- Teva’s Prescription to Cure What Ails Claim Construction – A Bench-Bar Brainstorming Session, Dallas Bar Association (April 2015).
- Alternative Fees: Aligning the Interests of Lawyer and Client, Texas Lawyer In-House Counsel Summit (2014).