Tom focuses his practice on patent litigation and strategy. He has experience in both the litigation and prosecution of patents in diverse fields including medical devices, electronics, mechanical devices, computer applications, analog circuitry and telecommunications. Tom joined the firm in 2010 after working as an associate in the intellectual property section at Fulbright & Jaworski in Dallas.
Tom received his law degree from the University of Virginia School of Law. While in law school, Tom was a member of the managing board of the Virginia Journal of Law and Technology. Additionally, he completed clinical course work at the U.Va Patent Foundation where he gained experience working with the Foundation’s patent and licensing staff.
Tom’s other legal interests include communications policy and immigration law. Tom has represented clients on a pro bono basis with their immigration issues and has volunteered at the University of Virginia Immigration Clinic, Catholic Charities of Dallas, and the Dallas Pro Bono Veteran’s Clinic.
Prior to practicing law, Tom studied electrical and computer engineering at the Franklin W. Olin College of Engineering where he was a member of the inaugural graduating class and served as student government president. While at Olin, Tom worked on several start-up ventures including work on a solar-powered trash compactor. Tom currently sits on the Board of Trustees at Olin College.
University of Virginia School of Law
- Juris Doctor
Franklin W. Olin College of Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical and Computer Engineering
Areas of Practice
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Inter Partes Review and other Post-Grant Patent Proceedings
- Patent Prosecution
- Intellectual Property Portfolio Development and Counseling
- Commercial Litigation
- State of Texas
- State of Missouri
- Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- United States Patent & Trademark Office
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- United States District Court, Northern District of Texas
- United States District Court, Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- State Bar of Texas
- State Bar of Missouri
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Tarrant County Bar Association
- Corpus Christi Bar Association
*Not licensed to practice in Illinois.